220.127.116.11 MINOR WORK
A certificate of authorization is not required for minor work required for the normal maintenance of a construction, provided that the foundations, structure and exterior and/or interior partitions are not modified and the floor area is not increased.
This provision applies to individual items of minor work and not to a group of items.
The execution of minor works is subject to all general or specific provisions that apply.
As a guide, the following may be considered as minor maintenance work:
1) the replacement or repair of roofing provided that the materials used are identical or of equivalent nature
2) the installation of vents on the roof or under the eaves
3) painting, creosoting of walls or roof and tarring of roof;
4) chimney consolidation;
5) insulation and ventilation work provided the structure is not altered or manipulated;
6) installation or replacement of gutters
7) repair of mortar joints;
8) the replacement of glass or bay windows;
9) repair or replacement of damaged or deteriorated balcony components provided they are not enlarged or altered (handrails, steps, floors, etc.)
10) replacement of the electrical entrance provided that the electrical wiring inside the walls and ceilings is not modified
11) the addition of electrical outlets, switches, lighting or similar work
12) the transformation or modification of a central heating system (e.g., changing the oil burner for an electric furnace)
13) the repair or replacement of the plumbing system (pipes, sinks, toilets, baths) provided that the work does not require the demolition of walls or other structural components
14) the installation of a smoke evacuator (stove hood) in the case of a strictly residential occupation
15) repair or construction of shelves and cabinets except in the case of a complete kitchen renovation
16) replacement or alteration of floor coverings.
A Certificate of Approval is not required for :
– the installation of a winter carport
– the installation of a snow fence
– temporary buildings used on construction sites; these must be demolished or removed within 30 days of the end of the work.
Section 3.4 of By-law Number 311 concerning Permits and Certificates.
NB Unofficial translation. The French version remains the official text and prevails in the case of a discrepancy.